Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ode to Survivor

I have to confess, I'm in love with Survivor. It's probably the best reality TV show ever. A lot of my friends aren't into it, and think about it probably how I used to think about it: stupid, boring, totally predictable. Except it's not. It's so awesome that I want to read internet message boards about it. And I do. It's the reason I got bunny ears, when I ditched my cable, and outside of Law and Order the odd time, pretty much the only television I watch.

This season is no exception. We have possibly a Survivor first - an alliance formed on Exile Island that might prove to be the thing that gets the winner to the end. It's all very exciting. Yes, I know how ridiculous that sounds, but really. I'm not going to lie. I love watching a bunch of really strange and interesting personality types all try to live together and work together and strategize together in extremely stressful and constantly demanding surroundings. I believe that it ultimately says a lot about who's really a good person and who's not, and whether or not that matters really, enough to determine whether you get the $1 Million at the end of it. My current theory is that you do have to be a good person to succeed at the game and get the prize. Jury votes, alliances, probably all depend on a certain level of respect and admiration from your peers. Usually you have to be a good person to earn that. Usually.

Plus Jeff Probst being a total snark and not holding anything back. Plus the editing! Ohh, the editing.

I like watching along and deciding who I believe is worthy enough to win... and then seeing if actually happens. I love watching people realize a lot of really profound stuff about themselves and how they interact in this world. Or watching them not realize it and keep on being totally clueless and full of themselves - there's one of those this season, too. (Yeah, I'm talking about you, Coach!) All in all, amazing television. Skeptics, give it another watch. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: